BOTANICAL AND NATURAL HISTORY RARE ANTIQUE PRINT BOOKS
CIVIL WAR TOKENS
click here for purchase and contact information
click here to return to home page
LES FLEURS ANIMEES.
FIFTY-TWO HAND-COLORED IMAGES OF PERSONIFIED
FLOWERS ON COMPACT DISC
ITEM # Les FLEURS
This CD disc presents 52 high resolution digital BMP images of personified
flowers from the 1867 edition of Les Fleurs Animées. This edition
exhibits the strongest hand coloring of all and was heightened with gum Arabic
(acacia gum). These images can be printed directly from the CD or imported to
Adobe Photoshop, Photoshop Elements, Adobe Illustrator, PaintShop Pro, Adobe
PhotoDelux, PrintMaster and other popular painting and drawing programs and
printed on quality inkjet paper producing stunning results suitable for framing.
Or for designing your own greeting cards, posters, brochures and calendars.
This CD contains the entire
collection of original images as well as a set which has been digitally enhanced
in the transfer to CD as in the scan below. These
web images are electronically watermarked, the CD images are not.
Les Fleurs Animées are a series of delightful Victorian prints
illustrating flowers personified in the form of lovely maidens and their animal
followers. Each early 19th-century charming female figure is richly costumed in
the leaves, blossoms and garlands that designate her flower. She presides in an
appropriate 'natural' setting, often surrounded by anthropomorphized insects and
birds that pay her homage. This was Grandville's favorite work displaying his
fascination with an animated and psychological fertile natural world.
Gordon Ray, Art of the French Illustrated Book, 198: "A little world is
created, governed by its own laws. His first biographer wrote: "The Fleurs
Animées are the very thought of Grandville; they were his favorite work, the
work into the execution of which he put all that was in him of poetic and
gracious originality, of dexterity of mind and observation, of that prodigious
perspicacity which made divine affinities hitherto unperceived by anyone and
discover new worlds.
INDEX TO IMAGES
- V1-F Front
- V1-017 Bluet et Coquelicot - Annual Bluebottle and Corn poppy
- V1-025 Lis (Lily)
- V1-037 Pensée - Pansy, Viola tricolor, Heartsease
- V1-069 Tabac. (Tobacco) - Nicotiana
- V1-081 Tulipe (Tulip)
- V1-091 Rose
- V1-115 Narcisse - Daffodil, Narcissus
- V1-127 Violette (Violet)
- V1-147 Water Lily, Nenuphar, Nymphæa
- V1-157 Laurier - Sweet Bay, True Laurel
- V1-158 Myrte - Myrtle
- V1-167 Chevre - Feuille. (Honey Suckle).
- V1-177 Camelia
- V1-189 Immortelle (Everlasting)
- V1-193 Marguerite Daisy, Bellis
- V1-201 Belle-de-Nuit
- V1-219 Oeillet (Carnation),
- V1-273 Hemlock. Cigue. Cicuta.
- V1-279 Lin - bluebonnet (Flax).
- V1-281 Soleil - Sunflower
- V1-283 Fleur de Grenadier (Pomegranate)
- V1-305 Pavot (Poppy)
- V1-309 Fleur D'Oranger (Orange Blossom)
- V1-313 Chardon (Thistle)
- V1-321 Wild Rose. Eglantine. Rosa Canina.
- V1-327 Capucine. (Nasturtium).
- V1-330 Guimauve (Marsh Mallow)
- V1-337 Primrose and Snowdrop. Primevere -Perce Neige. Primula Veris -Galanthus.
- V2-F Front
- V2-006 Pois De Senteur. (Sweet Pea).
- V2-007 Cactus
- V2-010 Dahlia.
- V2-012 Sensitive (Mimosa)
- V2-013 De Pecher. (Peach Blossom).
- V2-022 Aubepine (Hawthorn)
- V2-025 Vigne (Grape Vine. )
- V2-039 Forget me not. Myosotis. Myosotis arvensis.
- V2-051 Mourning Bride and Marigold. Scabieuse et Souci. Scabiosa et
- V2-055 Traite de Kleurs - The Flower Market. Anemone. Geranium.
- V2-063 Water Arrow. Fleche-D'Eau. Calla palustris.
- V2-084 Crown Imperial Hortensia. Couronine Imperiale Hortansia.
Fritillaria Imperialis Hortensia Opuloides. ( Hydrangéa)
- V2-101 Jasmine
- V2-112 Verveine (Verbena)
- V2-121 Giroflee. (Wall flower).
- V2-125 The et Café
- V2-133 Lilas (Lilacs)
- V2-137 Tuberose. Jonquil.
- V2-141 The Ball. China Aster. Canterbury Bell (Campanula). Lady's Ear Drop
(Fuchsia). Larkspur (Delphinum). Lily of the Valley. Pyramidale Bell Flower.
- V2-146 Return of the Flowers. Retour des Fleurs.
- V2-149 Erratum - Olive. Marvel of Peru. Everlasting. Myrtle. Tobacco.
- V2-154 La Pervenche dessechee (Periwinkle)
- V2-Pl.1 Botanical engraving plate 1
- V2-Pl. 2 Botanical engraving plate 2
J.J. Grandville ( Jean Ignace Isidore Gerard), was borne in France on Sept 15,
1803, and died in Paris on Mar. 17, 1874 Gerard was a French caricaturist,
fantasist, illustrator, and graphic artist noted for his inventive political and
social satire. Like many of the famous caricaturists of the period such as
Honore Daumier, Grandville worked for Charles Philipon, contributing drawings to
the periodicals La Caricature and Le Charivari. His satirical
series included Metamorphoses du jour (present-day Metamorphoses; 1829),
Un Autre Monde Another World; 1844), and Scenes de la vie privee et
publique des animaux (1842; Public and Private Life of Animals). He created
the illustrations for Jonathan Swift's Gulliver's Travels (1838), Daniel
Defoe's Robinson Crusoe (1840) and Chevalier's Don Quichotte de la
manche (1848). Grandville's fantastic anthropomorphic figures combining
human and animal characteristics have been considered among the sources for Sir
John Tenniel's illustrations in Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland. It
has also been said that he was an influence on Dore, Hugo, Kafka, and Walt
Disney. Bibliography: Appelbaum, Stanley, ed., Bizarreries and Fantasies of
This collection is referenced at the Smithsonian Museum of
2003 - 2010 SHIGITATSU
ITEM # ANI